CT Scanning Services to 3D Render for Holo Now Available

For the sake of linking threads I’ll mention we had a similar discussion here: Can You See Inside A Pokemon Pack Without Opening It?

I think the initial reaction of fear, uncertainty and doubt (to borrow a crypto phrase) is not unexpected. But I don’t think people have fully processed this new ability we collectively unlocked.

This is not a pocket CT scanner tool that lets you see hits in the packs at Walmart. There will always be a price barrier to this procedure that will basically limit it exclusively to vintage packs. These packs already have a huge variability in price because of the uncertainty about what’s inside. Weighing was universally considered scummy but now it’s a necessary tool of decreasing that uncertainty. This is just the next logical step.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with packs not being random. If you know what’s inside you can make a more informed choice on whether to keep it sealed or open it. It also is a highly valuable service to determine if a box is legitimate without opening it - because right now our tools for doing that are limited.

The problem with tools like this is always an information imbalance. Like if you scanned your heavy ex series pack and confirmed it’s a regular holo and you don’t disclose that when you sell it. But that’s on each individual to be honest.

Overall I think the initial reactions to this service are overly negative. Even the thread being tagged as scam - what’s the scam? I think this service is a huge net benefit. We will have to rethink a couple things when buying sealed products now but ultimately it empowers you to make better choices about the sealed product you own, if it is worth the cost to you. For example, my friend gifted me a Ex Unseen Forces booster he kept sealed, and a service like this can reveal whether or not its worth opening or to keep it the way it is.

11 Likes