E4 Pokemon VGC Tournament - Generation 3

The third iteration of E4 Pokemon tournaments is finally here! This time, we’re heading towards Hoenn, covering the third generation of Pokemon games.

Tournament Rules

Tournament matches will be played on Pokemon Showdown using Smogon Gen 3 OU Singles rules.

Matches will be played in a “Best of 3” format where the winner will need to win 2 games to advance to the next round. The tournament will be a Double Elimination bracket, meaning players that lose in the winner’s bracket will still be able to progress through the loser’s bracket.

Initial seeding for this tournament will be randomized, meaning no prior tournament results will be taken into account. A live bracket link will be generated on Challonge for everyone to view.

To keep the tournament running at a reasonable pace, a cutoff date will be implemented for each bracket round. These dates will be posted once registration ends and the final bracket is generated. Failure to play your matches on time will result in a warning and then a disqualification.

Tournament Bracket

Live Bracket

Round 3 - Round 5: June 3, 2024 - July 2, 2024

Other Rules

Your team (Pokemon, items, moves, EVs/IVs) must remain the same for all games within a set. However, you can swap your lead Pokemon between games. Any player that is found swapping teams between games in a set will automatically have that game count as a loss for them.

You can bring a different team for each round/new opponent.

Participants are required to report the results of their sets here. Please save replays of all your games and post the links in this thread.

Above all, have fun and may the best player be crowned the champion of Generation 3!

Previous E4 Tournaments

Generation 1: :1st_place_medal: DDK :2nd_place_medal: cosrob :3rd_place_medal: candle/G1TLandon
Generation 2: :1st_place_medal: DDK :2nd_place_medal: caughtatpoint :3rd_place_medal: cosrob

Resources

Sample Gen 3 OU Teams
Gen 3 OU Viability Rankings
Gen 3 OU Teambuilding Compendium
Jimothy Cool’s Gen 3 OU Playlist

4 Likes

Count me in - gen 3 best gen

1 Like

I’ll play!

1 Like

1 Like

Sign me up!

1 Like

In

1 Like

About to lock tf in :goat:

(This is a yes please)

2 Likes

I’m in!

1 Like

join

1 Like

+1

1 Like

I’m in

1 Like

So far we have 11 people signed up! Keep em’ coming! Hoping for this to be the largest tournament E4 has seen.

I’ve only ever played doubles and battle frontier but screw it

200w-1

1 Like

I encourage anyone who is on the fence about signing up to do it! These tournaments are not super serious and are a fun way to re visit Pokémon games and mechanics of the past.

Plus, ahem:rotating_light: WE NEED ALL HANDS ON DECK TO STOP THE RAMPAGE THAT THE UNDEFEATED, TWO TIME, BATTLE MASTER, @ddk IS ON! :rotating_light:

Enlist now to become a champion :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

3 Likes

I’d love to go for the 3peat but Gen 3 has a lot more depth to it than the previous two generations. There’s a really nice balance between offense and defense so I don’t expect this to be easy (not that the previous two tourneys were)!

Also, to anyone who hasn’t played competitive Pokemon or this format, I’ll link a few resources later on teambuilding.

1 Like

I’ve only played two practice games with a team I cobbled together in a few minutes but gen 3 feels much closer to the modern games than gen 2 did. Definitely more fun, I’d encourage everyone to sign up!

I am not knowledgeable enough to build a team. But I would consider a tournament that has completely randomized Pokemon, moves, and items for each match in the future. Absolute blind luck is my only chance at winning a match against you heathens. :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

play battle factory!

No no, you’re good! I’ll link some resources (with sample teams) later so you can hop right in. The more, the merrier!

(Showdown does have a randomized battle mode so may do a tourney like that eventually)

1 Like

This is the only way that I’ve played in Showdown :upside_down_face: