Recent Price of 20th Anniversary Pikachu 279/XY-P

Hey guys,

I noticed a sudden spike in price for the 2016 Festa Pikachu 279/XY-P in recent days. Is there something surrounding this card that seems to cause this sudden peak interest?

There’s some auctions on right now with some very high bids which seems odd given the price even just a few weeks ago.

www.ebay.com/itm/Pikachu-279-XY-P-Japanese-Pokemon-Card-20th-Anniversary-Festa-prize-2016-Promo-/182499621336?hash=item2a7dd339d8:g:HqoAAOSw4CFY0yi-

www.ebay.com/itm/Pikachu-279-XY-P-Japanese-Pokemon-Card-20th-Anniversary-Festa-prize-2016-Promo-/252821663271?hash=item3add586e27:g:DFAAAOSw4CFYz0kB

Thats really high, PSA 10 copies were selling for less than a hundred a month ago.

www.elitefourum.com/t/ebay-garbage/10286/1

1 Like

Lol,before I even clicked on the video I knew who it was.

Kinda crazy how much of an effect on the market one guy can have. I got mine a while ago tho so I’m set.

2 Likes

A lot of the time people really underestimate how much stuff like this affects the price of certain collectibles, or just anything in life.

Oprah Winfrey bought some large percentage of Weight Watchers a couple of years ago and just by simply investing in them she made the share price sky rocket.

Obviously this is an extreme example but it shows how much 1 person with influence can affect prices of any product.

This makes sense. It was my guess that there way some influence somehow by someone. I had been selling them on eBay and the offer prices just kept increasing. Pretty crazy. I had 3 graded PSA 10’s and 6 ungraded copies, and they’re almost all sold within 2 days

1 Like

Give it a few weeks, they’ll drop back down.

I know I won’t buy unless the price is reasonable. I feel sorry for those who are going to drastically overpay for these lol

2 Likes

you can also see a similar trend in some of the videos posted by smpratte. For example he recently posted a video about under valued 1st edition base set cards. Today alone there has been an increase in the ebay listings of this type of card.

2 Likes

I haven’t looked at the price difference for the pikachu and the under rated 1st edition cards, but I would assume the price jump was much higher for the pikachu because of unlistedleaf, Scott even said in his video that the first edition cards were higher at a previous time than before he posted the video due to availability.

I do NOT wish to overpay for this card, but yeah now I am worried I may not can get it at a fair price. Does anyone have any extra for trade/sale at a fair (not current ebay) price?? I was wanting to pay perhaps $20-35 shipped, perhaps direct Japanese contacts are the way to go.

Uggh , I can’t even find one on yahoo auctions except for a lot of at least 8 of them for $440 US shipped (double shipping, middlman/store fees), or one for at least $50. I don’t know what a fair price is but the older 2 Festa Pikachu FA and even the FA pikachu (silver background from the 15th pikachu box set) are going for waaay less then this one, when by all accounts they should be more rare (am I correct)?

The most important thing to remember regarding this is to remain calm, the price will drop back.

I anticipate a lot of people who are buying these are trying to cash in on some profits, but will likely lose money on this.

Don’t pay over what you know they are worth :wink:

I’m in the same boat, it’s just a matter of patience now.

I think the 2016 had less copies awarded than the previous years. According to bulba, 2016 was awarded in 2 locations, where 2015 was awarded in 4 locations.

Either way this situation is a great lesson in understanding “demand” in supply & demand. Demand can be short term-long term. I think this situation is definitely on the short term side. Barring that the supply doesn’t drastically decrease, I think being patient is the right choice (it usually always is). :blush:

3 Likes

Someone needs to do a video about overpriced cards.

He tried so hard to make Evolutions secret rares a thing.

well looks like its time to sell the few PSA 10s i have of this card haha.

1 Like

Absolutely. If I had copies, I’d sell now and then re-buy when the market dies.

Someone needs to do a video hyping up the value of BW/XY Era Japanese Commons/Uncommons so I can sell the ~30kg of them I have.

6 Likes