Who is this?

Hi, I’m more into the cards than the anime - movies and since getting back into cards after 22 years and near completing my Team Rocket set I’ve been wondering who this character is. Is it a rocket grunt or is she a main character in one of the movies. Thanks

Blockquote

5 Likes

Cassidy? Im not 100%

5 Likes

Disappointing they never made a card with Butch on it.

1 Like

Gen 2 Team Rocket Grunt

3_-Rocket_Grunt_GSC(Sprite)

28 Likes

I always assumed that she was the model of the Generic Team Rocket grunt for the early gens. The manga also has a long haired Rocket female grunt. I also assumed that Jesse from the anime was based on this character.

Lot of assumptions though.

Cheers!

5 Likes

After a quick google search of the Cassidy character could well be. Given a different hair colour.

I wonder if anyone ever got one of the cards signed by the voice artist. I think that would be a nice collectible.

3 Likes

I personally agree more with the generic grunt/admiral theory, since I don’t think Sugimori wanted to represent a character in particular.

But Cassidy is a nice interpretation, why not!

I did see an image where she had red hair but i think it might just be a generic rocket but it sure looks like her but wrong hair color

1 Like

non-tcg but they do have a card for Butch in the topps tv animation cards (and one for cassidy as well)

Hairstyle looks just like Cassidy, but her earrings are the same as the ones Jesse wears :thinking:

7 Likes

This is the correct answer.

I am surprised that people are suggesting anime characters. The TCG does not feature anime characters. The TCG and the anime are separate, unrelated adaptations of the mainline video games and very rarely crossover.

2 Likes

Huh? They overlap all of the time. Here are some brief examples. Most of the illustrations of the characters are from the anime as the video game sprites are abbreviated artistic designs.

2 Likes

I believe stagecoach is correct. The tcg and anime borrow from the video games, but the tcg very rarely borrows from the anime. Most tcg illustrations are adaptations of the video games.

3 Likes

I’m confused by this post and your examples. I am not sure how to reply. Even some of the art in the thumbnail for your links features art from the video games. Misty uses art from Let’s Go Pikachu & Eevee in your thumbnail. Blaine uses art from Fire Red and Leaf Green. :thinking:

One of us is misunderstanding the other, here.

6 Likes

In the example you gave for instance, the Misty and the Lorelei are directly from the Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee art

image image

Generally, the only influence the anime has is indirectly by how the anime influences the re-releases of some of the games. Ex. how Jessie & James appear in Pokemon Yellow but not in R/G/B

Click on the links, these are not the examples that I chose but the most recent for each character

All these characters are from the VG though. There’s not really a card that has an anime character that didn’t also first appear in the games with exception to a few movie promos

4 Likes

This is Misty from the video game

This is Misty from the anime

The cards use her bathing suit video game design.

Until this one which is the HGSS design

Then Evolutions uses the RBG design

And then it’s all Let’s Play

I would say the Let’s Play design is based on the Pokemon Yellow look
which seems to be influenced by the anime. But the cards are all 1:1 only Misty designs that appear in a game

Yes, the characters are originally made in the video games. My point is that the stylizing of the designs heavily borrows from the anime and movies when made into cards, as the video games’ pixelated renditions of the characters are imperfect.

For example, this awful CG Lillie isn’t fit for trading cards.

But this Lillie would be.

And this illustration borrows from Lillie’s aesthetic from the anime.

1 Like

I think this is exemplary and helps illustrate the way the brand works. But I am also currently struggling to put into words something I took for granted as a Pokémon fan - which is how the arms of the brand are delineated. It’s something I’ve always understood implicitly and now having to verbalize it I’m struggling to find the words.

The way Pokémon works is that Game Freak develops a generational video game. Generation I, Generation II, Generation III, etc. These games feature Pokémon, locations, personalities, and a surplus of canonical brand elements which then become accessible for adaptation into the other aspects of the brand.

The anime previously adapted these elements by having Ash visit the region and meet gym leaders interpreted from the video games. The card game is much more focused on the Pokémon itself, but in more modern times there is a stronger focus on the human characters - which are also adapted directly from the video games that introduced them. The anime and the TCG both have their own way of adapting the content and it tends to be a one-way street.

Additionally, brand control and style-guides are produced simultaneously for adaptation. This is why we have seen anime reference sheets as leaks ahead of video game reveals. These standardizations mean most characters look basically the same across all their depictions, whereas older TCG sets, games, and anime series often have unique looks for each character.

Huh? The outfit and backpack are clearly from the video game design. I’m not sure how you conclude this

1 Like