1998 Kamex Mega Battle Computer Error

I’ve seen multiple forums regarding the Computer Error from Kamex Mega Battle in 1998 but there seems to be numerous conflicting arguments to the story in reference to it being a participation card or a prize card and the overall distribution. As far as the distribution of the card is concerned, previous forums seemed to have been extremely high with speculations of the copies awarded. After verifying PSA, BGS and CGC the over all population on the combined grading companies is 65 overall pop thru all grades and all grading companies. Some forums had the card as high as 1,000 copies but most hovering around 200-300 copies but even that seems high given the amount of copies that have surfaced. Also few forums addressed the card as a participation card while others referred to it as a prize card. If anyone could assist in knowledge of it being a participation or price card and the overall awarded copies, it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Based on a few of the personal blog posts that I have read from people who attended the tournament, the computer error (non-glossy and having the white shadow for the Team Rocket “R”) was indeed a participation prize. The participants were handed out lots of free stuff as participation prizes during the 1998 Kamex Mega Battle, with this card being one of them.

The Kamex mega battle was held across 5 regions with the minimum participation stipulations as follows:

Kanto Tournament: 180 Juniors and 60 Seniors → 240 total participants.
Chubu Tournament: 60 Juniors and 60 Seniors → 120 total participants.
Kyushu Tournament: 60 Juniors and 60 Seniors → 120 total participants.
Hokkaido Tournament: 60 Juniors and 60 Seniors → 120 total participants.
Kansai Tournament: 180 Juniors and 60 Seniors → 240 total participants.

I think this was the upper limit of participants but this puts the maximum participant total to 840 across these 5 venues. Again, not sure if this was executed as intended and there could have been ups and downs in the participant numbers across venues. The exact number of cards will never be known but I think we can guestimate it to high 3 digits and bordering to very low 4 digits?

I personally think the difference between the common copy and this rare copy is very subtle so I am not sure if people were / are aware which copy they have. Not to mention, I have heard a lot of people say that they don’t find the card particularly interesting as far as artwork goes.

Maybe, someone can have more insight, but I hope this can help answer your question.

Cheers!

14 Likes

I’m not any help here, but these types of questions always spur me to read older forum posts, which I love. Mr Bubbles gives some great insight, here is some discussion from 2017.

2 Likes

Estimated copies are ≥ 896 via Pokumon (article linked below). I would view it as a participation award.

Regarding the number graded, I wouldn’t put much emphasis on that. There are an estimated 1,000 Unikarps printed, but a minuscule proportion are graded and/or ever available on the market. Like most cards with limited releases in Japan, we will only ever see a sliver of them surface.

• Kantō tournament: 192 juniors / 64 seniors
  • Chūbu tournament: 64 juniors / 64 seniors
  • Kyūshū tournament: 64 juniors / 64 seniors
  • Hokkaidō tournament: 64 juniors / 64 seniors
  • Kansai tournament: 192 juniors / 64 seniors
4 Likes

Great points and references. I’m bias in this discussion given I have a few Computer Errors but in comparison to the university magikarp which has a graded population of 168 between PSA, BGS and CGC, I see the Computer Error as EXTREMELY undervalued. Even if you compare it to the Tropical Wind (152 pop) or Bilingual Exeggutor (73 pop). I understand that prices are completely driven by supply and demand but eventually historical significance, age and low population will impact demand, therefore prices. Only time will tell but I have wagered my bets :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s such a niche participation prize. I don’t see it blasting off to the moon like trophies, high-point play promos, etc. If it wasn’t a participation prize, if it didn’t have several cheaper equivalents, and if it featured popular Pokemon, I would agree with you.

Good luck with your bets!

4 Likes

I’m betting more on the copies not at 896 but rather closer to 200-300. Also that the prices now are very similar to the 2017 & 2018 prices. IMO it’s the “ugliest” undervalued card in the hobby. Also the bilingual Exeggutor is similar in the massive later prints. But as we said, time will tell.

1 Like

Population count is not indicative of total distribution size. A higher % of trophy cards are graded than other promos. This promo in particular looks nearly identical to the common glossy variant. Unlike the TMB exeggutor too, the initial distribution is also far less exclusive, thereby people are less likely to spend the money and effort to grade them. I personally own 2 copies of this card raw and just haven’t bothered grading them.

We also have first-party documentation (the tournament handbook) scanned and translated that confirms the way the card was distributed and the tournament sizing. The 896 number is going to be pretty accurate, then a few extra copies that are floating around will probably ballpark it similar to Unikarp at around 1000 total.

9 Likes