3x the price in a single month... How?

I know all of us have experienced price hikes but this is the first time I’ve seen a price hike on a card I’ve been interested in. Been looking out for a more minty 1st Edition Shining Gyarados since mine is more like a PSA 5/6 quality due to a bad bottom edge. I was watching this since last week and I cannot believe the price it’s reaching:

www.ebay.com/itm/402261351622?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI402261351622.N36.S1.typeWATCH_ITEM_ENDING_SOON.R1.TR2

A month ago, these were selling for between $200~$250 and they pop up often enough.

Is this shilled or is Neo Revelations seeing a sudden spike in general?

2 Likes

yeah I had bought that and the buyer never responded then canceled and relisted

4 Likes

2nd time its happened to me on the same card in 2months

3 Likes

Ugh. So another one for the blacklist, then.

oh no no it wasnt this seller! I meant it was this card the seller whoi did that was dannybo41

3 Likes

Ooooooh. Thought you meant this exact same seller.

I believe a PSA 9 goes for over $1000 so the people bidding on this are hoping this card is in at least that condition hence the high price

2 Likes

With PSA 9 copies going as high as they are, people are willing to buy ungraded to save several hundred if it only cost them the grading fee afterward to get a potential 9.

Edit: Somehow I missed lamps comment right above mine. Sounds like him and I are on the same train of thought.

2 Likes

Side note if anyone knows of a PSA 10 version let me know :blush:

2 Likes

For the record, last I heard you’re looking at 3-4K for one

1 Like

Hmm I’ve never publicly offered a price for a PSA 10 Shining Gyarados in fact I’d have to do a little research to make a best offer haven’t given it too much thought yet but that card probably has my favorite art work of any card but doesn’t currently fit in the sets I’m putting together in my buy thread. Thus whomever you heard that from must not have been referring to me

Correct, I have no idea what you were offering. Just setting appropriate expectations for if you do decide to pursue it before the price goes up even more.

Neo rev along with all the neos probly had the biggest price spikes as in general. So yes, for example the legendary dogs almost tripled in value in almost all their variants (unlimited, 1st, etc).

1 Like

Oh gotcha okay - there are some chase jungle fossil cards I’d like to grab before unloading the Brinks truck for that card in PSA 10 but nonetheless my favorite card art in the hobby :blush:

Either shilled or idiots bidding on it thinking that will grade a 10.

I read the title to this thread and instantly thought of this song for some reason. It’s getting late for me…

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRlaRuGPWI4

Anyways, I think a part of the price increase, such as with Neo, I think has to do with the increasing price of the booster pack. At least, this is how I’ve started justifying paying more for NM raw Holos for various sets. Right now the cheapest pack I see on Ebay of 1st Edition Revelations is at $400, and it’s probably weighed AND even if I took a chance on opening a pack, I probably wouldn’t get what I wanted. I’d rather pay a premium to get a card I know I want in a condition that I want, and I’m getting it now.

I think there are plenty of other factors too such as amazing artwork, nostalgia, COVID buying, record PSA prices, ect that are all playing into it as well.

1 Like

I really don’t understand auctions for raw cards sometimes. Often they go way above PSA 8 price and often a good margin above PSA 9 price. But the cards in question I always feel are a solid 8 candidate… and not much more. But then again we all know how quickly good BIN deals get sniped, so I guess this is one of the remaining outlets.

2 Likes

I found a UK seller doing mass auctions weekly.
They had a 1st edition shining magikarp, and had sold a similar one the previous week using the same photos.
So i figured I would snipe this one with an extra $50… I was beaten by $100.

I will admit that recently I purchased a 1st Edition Jolteon Holo for my binder collection at or about the PSA 8 price at the time. It was the last card I needed for my Jungle binder and I wouldn’t trust myself or actually want to crack open a PSA case to get a card out. I guess I also enjoy not knowing what PSA would grade a card in my binder at. I’ve been shooting for NM+ cards and I’m pretty happy with the cards I have in the binder.

This is why I typically just buy PSA 8 cards to crack for my raw sets. There’s basically no such thing as NM/M raw price anymore. The NM/M raw price is now the PSA 8/9 price.

1 Like