Advice on selling collections on eBay?

Hey there :3

I’ve got approx 171 cards in a collection that I’m wanting to sell on eBay - which are in pretty good condition, mind you, from 1st edition Base non-holo’s, Base Set, Base Set 2, Jungle, Fossil, 1st Team Rocket, etc. I mean I know of horror stories on eBay via returns, or buyers swapping the protect they received etc; I also know that many people suggest taking images of the front and back - but taking 343 photos?

Plus what unofficial grading system do certain people use? As I know it’s rather objective.

All comments are appreciated :slight_smile:

Unless you plan to sell overnight, taking all those photos should not be a big deal. Just be patient and be honest with your buyers. Take the front and back and do it well so it is a fairly clean picture. The more expensive cards you should sell individually and the less expensive cards you can group together in lots. For example, some of the less expensive non-holos or less expensive holos from the same set could be paired up to save space. You may even want to group a few cards per photo to save time, but always take pics of the more expensive cards alone. You’ll be surprised how much more someone will pay for a perfect card presented nicely over a blurry image that is unclear.

Always provide excellent communication and if someone wants to return the card, just do it. It’s no worth the hassle and possible bad feedback. If it was them being kinda shitty, then ban them from your listings.

I recommend “Buy it now” for the more expensive cards, but you may have to wait a bit for a sale. Look at past sales and be reasonable if you want to sell fast or you could be waiting a while. Auction if you want to sell faster, but I only recommend cards that would do well at auction and will have a lot of eyes on them.

The key to selling on eBay is being patient if you want to get the value for your collection. If you don’t care, then throw it all up for auction and it will all be over in 2 weeks.

1 Like
  • FIRST: NEVER SELL COLLECTION

• SECOND: IF YOU NEED TO SELL:

• Never list an item as Mint if it is not graded and it says is mint

• List at NM and take proper photos that show the condition (if mint)

• Price according to the condition you perceive

• Those stories that you talk about are few and far appart, for one transaction like that there are thousands that go smoothly

• Don’t try to fight ebay or the buyer

• Always ship tracked if you wouldn’t like to loose that particular card forever

• Don’t sell your collection

3 Likes

Find trusted buyers.
Some guys here buy lots. Reach out to them privately.

3 Likes

I agree with this. Some people may reach out to you, but I personally think your best bet is to reach out to someone here who buys in bulk. Their offer will likely be below the maximum you could get, but you’ll be dealing with someone trusted who won’t go through a not as described claim if one card isn’t in near mint condition. Also keep in mind the 10% ebay fees that will come out if you sell through there.

I also strongly agree with the suggestion that you should never list mint cards above near mint condition. Or say near mint or better, just always leave yourself that floor. Some people’s idea of mint is PSA 10 or bust, while others is PSA 7+.

1 Like

I feel that it really depends upon the person selling cards… If we’re talking someone who’s casually selling cards on the side - similiar to what it sounds OP is trying to do - than I would 100% Agree! For somone who’s not 100% Positive on PSA’s Grading Standards and/or not wanting to deal with possibility of eBay Returns, I would highly discourage calling anything MINT Condition!

However, if we’re talking about an experianced collector or seller, than I would actually recommend diferentianting NM and MINT Condition! Personally, I have Holo Cards and Non-Holo Cards listed within my eBay Store labeled as MINT Condition. These are either “Bulk” Cards that aren’t worthwhile for me to subit into PSA or Holo Cards that are 9’s - but again; not worthwhile for me to submit into PSA. I’m able to sell these cards labeled as MINT Condition for a higher price-point than the NM Condition counter-parts - Holo Cards generally for PSA 9 Pricing if you factor-in the costs associated with grading on-top of “raw” pricing. Obvioselly, we’re not talking anything “high-end” - mostly Unl. Jungle through Base Set 2 Holo Cards - anything higher-end would definitly get graded by PSA!

But, I am also VERY FAMILIAR with PSA Grading Standards and usually upload more pictures of any Holo Card labeled as MINT Condition. I’ve never had an issue where someone recieves the card and then complains about exact condition (knock on wood)! However, I’m also in a position where I wouldn’t mind dealing with eBay Return if something like that ever did come-up! I guess it really boils-down to the card / pricing you’re referring too.

Thanks Fourthstartcg :slight_smile:

Yeah I’ve been mulling over it; I may sell them, along with my Mew Mythical boxes and Xerneas & Yveltal UK edition boxes as I’m really only into collecting and perfecting my Base 2000 set and my WOTC boxes. But yeah the general consensus seems to be not stating the actual condition - rather uploading high resolution pictures of front and back (angles too), while mentioning in the listing ‘refer to photos for condition’ - due to issues with future appeals on PayPal etc; but then again as Gary said: “Find trusted buyers”.

I’m sure there’s pros and cons with selling in bulk, as opposed to individually

Many thanks to @joer , @styluspt , @garyis2000 , and @fourthstartcg

2 Likes

@bartallen2,
If you get a deal going with someone here, pm me and I’ll vouch for them.
Let us know how it goes and GOOD LUCK:)

1 Like

I sure will; thanks so much :slight_smile: