AI usage in Pokemon Illustration contest 2024

I feel like I’ve been reading the same comments and information about the usage of AI in the most recent illustration contest so I just wanted to condense the conversation in one thread not to muddy all the other ones.

The claims are as follows

1. someone used AI art in their submissions (though I’m not sure whether this was strictly disallowed in the rules)
  2. the same person seems to have submitted too many pieces, the limit was three
  3. the person seems to have incorporated other people’s art in their submission

8 Likes

Some of these images seems to be created by AI … Wild … :frog:

It’s unfair if we take in consideration that there were amazing works that didn’t enter to the Top 300 to give access to the AI ones … sadness …

These ones didn’t enter but are extremely cool …

https://www.instagram.com/p/C8NtdQVPXLB/?igsh=d3Z5bWV1eG9xdTJ5

5 Likes

My wife knows the second eevee (the 44% one) and it’s 100% her own work, she does that style for her book cover work.

But there are certainly some suspicious ones on the list which has bummed my wife out as AI is choking the illustrator market.

5 Likes

Unfortunately a fair few of these illustrations are done with AI. This Pikachu is the clearest example, but I suspect all the illustrations by people with the initials V.K. are AI generated at minimum.

As with most AI art, the background is the giveaway. The “lights” in the stadium are all different sizes, with weird angles and no real coherence to their organization. The paneling above the lights is composed of multiple jagged shapes with no pattern or relation between each one. The “people” in the stadium are faceless and shapeless blobs. The “screens” in the upper level above the people also have jagged shapes and formless figures on them.

I hope Pokemon runs an AI check on these illustrations and throws them out in the next round.

26 Likes

Did anyone see this? Really sucks and I was thinking about AI when I first saw the 300 being posted

4 Likes

“Vigen K” is accused (with evidence) of stealing art from other illustrators to complement his AI art. I’m convinced that the Vaporeon cameo from “Vigen K” artwork is stolen.
He stole it from an artwork made by “LaPumpkINK” (Twitter)

Original artwork by " LaPumpkINK" (Twitter)

I feel very sad for “LaPumpkINK” because of her artwork being stolen …
I suppose it’s Game Over for “Vigen K” …

13 Likes

Meta taking artist work for AI

This is a post from an artist I follow, Angrymikko. I was unaware this was happening or even possible. . I feel for any artist that has to fight for the exclusive rights to their own work.

4 Likes

How is this shit possible?

Stealing? While I heard about Ai controversy I thought the issue is the multiple entries under different names. Hadnt heard anything about stealing art (unless you consider using Ai theft due to how it produces information from lots of input).

2 Likes

AI part is not what I meant but I do not consider AI actual art.

https://www.elitefourum.com/t/illustration-contest-2024-results-top-300/48733/51?u=ayoveer

3 Likes

Thanks. Definitely very sad that this got through.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little far-fetched?

I honestly don’t think there’s any “real evidence” of artwork being stolen, the Vaporeons look quite different (front paws, back paws, tail, “ruff”) and they only share a similar pose.

I’m not disagreeing with the fact that V.K.'s “art” was AI generated. The Pikachu done by “Vigen Khachadoorian” definitely looks like they’ve used AI to generate these “illustrations”, as @fourthstartcg already pointed out AI usage in Pokemon Illustration contest 2024 - #2 by Kijamon

3 Likes

Its a very generic pose but the head is a very near match. It looks like it was traced with a few minor alterations. Stolen might be too much without more information but definitely things like multiple names for submissions and using ai art makes it more likely they took from others as well.

4 Likes

Also if you’d seen his IG before he made it private, even the traced Vaporeon is a stretch for him.

I agree that they might have used someone else’s art and altered it, but it’s definitely not being exactly copied.

I still don’t get how none of the judges/organizers didn’t catch on to the similar names (“Vigo K”, “Vigo Khachadoorian”, “Vigen K” and “Vigen Khachadoorian”); and I’m still baffled by the fact that the Pikachu by “Vigen Khachadoorian” made it in the top 300 best illustrations.

4 Likes

Just shaking my head a that the judges would select several AI in the top 300. To be fair though, I did not see anything in the rules that restricted AI submissions.

3 Likes

Even so, that cannot have been their intention. More likely, they were oblivious and ignorant to the fact that it would happen. Are they even bothered by the backlash in English?

Some Japanese comments have alluded to it being a bigger deal in the West and that it should be in Japan as well but I guess it’s not?

Amateur hour though.

2 Likes

I think Ai has been a huge blow to digital artists as it’s so easy to generate. Even before this was shared most of the digital art feels the same. If this contest was held 20-30 years ago the artists style would be more distinguishable. Anyway the Pandora’s box is open with ai art and maybe they need an ai category, if that’s even possible.

8 Likes

I believe people who submit AI generated imagery to an art contest should receive the death penalty, personally.

19 Likes

When you say digital art you do you mean AI art? I see a difference between using a digital tool such Procreate or Adobe that the artist uses to create and express their creative ideas vs AI. Digital tools require a human driver.