E4’s Favorite 2024 Illustration Contest t300 - Absol (Closed)

The 2023/24 Illustration Contest top 300 has been revealed, and we will be running a series of polls to figure out which entrees are E4’s Favorite.

Each Pokemon will get it’s own Poll

Individual Pokemon Polls will end at 12PM Pacific one week from when it goes up

• Vote for every illustration you like

The top 5 of each Pokemon will move on to the final round

• Finalists from each will be visible on the additional page (Which will also be hyperlinked here when the page is up, beginning Friday, June 21st)

Polls:

• basiliskenvy
0 voters

• fjsmu
0 voters

• Harumishiri
0 voters

• Joanne Tran
0 voters

• Kane Johnston
0 voters

• KSHABILLYA☆
0 voters

• Limboom
0 voters

• MANAKA
0 voters

• MiNe
0 voters

• moneko
0 voters

• Njmentor Art
0 voters

• rena nakajima
0 voters

• Sen
0 voters

• sgtoon.
0 voters

• teluna
0 voters

• yeinART
0 voters

• yumo
0 voters

• HIDEMARU ATSUTA
0 voters

• Umiru
0 voters

• Chiori Okawachi
0 voters

• Kaya
0 voters

• Kijimaru
0 voters

• gee
0 voters

• Sakuragileo
0 voters

• The common star
0 voters

• sabamisotaro
0 voters

• Takao Taromaru
0 voters

• Tsujiko
0 voters

• Tudura Nuru
0 voters

• nin
0 voters

• nekotakokilin
0 voters

• nonono no
0 voters

• Hayama Kohei
0 voters

• maki
0 voters

• matsumiya ichiharu
0 voters

• Yu
0 voters

• yuyu
0 voters

• ra
0 voters

• Daken
0 voters
4 Likes

i think absol wins for the most abstract/stylized submissions.

too many good ones to choose from, so i’ll just post this one as one i’m particularly fond of

5 Likes

Absol is one of those pokemon that can quickly become too stylized with the wrong proportions. Is fjsmu ai or is stylistically supposed to look like absol has hoof style feet?

2 Likes

This goes hard.

9 Likes

Agreed! the red moon is not overdone, has the right balance of not making the background the focal point while highlighting Absol’s horn, head, & back with a nice shade of red (great contrast with Absol’s colors)

4 Likes

Absol is the poster child for 2000’s emo kids :black_heart:

8 Likes

You’re one tough customer lol

1 Like

There’s a reason only Eevee and Pikachu had obvious AI entries.

Generate a cool Absol artwork in a forest with a moon in the background

Generate a cute picture of eevee at a picnic

ChatGPT blocks pikachu images but you get the idea. Far more training data for Pikachu and Eevee than any other Pokémon

Edit: got it to work for pikachu

8 Likes

There is stylized and there is incorrect. Open themed art practices are both amazing for the inspiration and ideas they bring to the subject but also rough when people become too loose with the subject. Things like pikachu having 3 stripes or eevee having toe beans are minor but things like how lizard-like should feraligatr be or even the size of absols head can have an effect on how people perceive a pokemon. Some of the pieces are surprisingly loose while others dont fit the tone of a card (while being amazing).

Some of the entries Ive liked and many Im not a fan of, but Im looking through the lens of an individual consumer and not with specific contest criteria like a judge. I am not trying to critique each piece directly but I did expect better quality with an almost worldwide contest for one of the most popular and creative brands in the world.

It cant be helped that some of the absol arts remind me of this meme and I share those thoughts here.

1 Like

I was just about to say the same, really obscure and really cool ones, while they might not be the best fit for actual cards i do love entries by Yu, the common star and especially rena nakajima.

However this of the would be absolute banger of a card, if any art says disaster pokemon it’s this one

8 Likes

Same deal as with Eevee to me. The cave painting is a nice concept and I like sgtoon’s styling.

Pretty sure that the actual winners would adhere most closely to TPC’s model of a Pokemon? That may not be true though but I doubt that realistic reptilian Feraligatr will be winning anything. Some of the top 300 may just be TPC’s way of showcasing different styles.

And to be honest with you, I don’t really look or know the exact details of every Pokemon. The draw them from memory challenge or describe them for those that can’t draw will be tough. I even had to look up to confirm whether Pikachu would always only have 2 stripes or even any stripes on its back lmao.

So as long as the Pokemon doesn’t look too off model in a non-stylistic way (Komiya etc) then I am OK with it. TPC did apologize and correct Chandelure VMAX a couple years ago even though if it wasn’t pointed out, I wouldn’t have picked it up.

1 Like

Absol ends today. There are a few that i’m surprised don’t have more votes :smiling_face_with_tear:

Dang current highest is only 26.