Going to Japan for the first time. Where should I go for tcg?

What are affordable card shops I should visit? Will be at the Tokyo area.
I will appreciate the information. Notice the topic was done 2017. They must have new shops now. If not I apologize for making this thread.

1 Like

Not sure if you buy directly from Japan online today, but a note to temper any expectations of finding great deals, especially in Tokyo. With the rise of grading in Japan, and in general how things have been going the past few years, shops look to align their prices with what they could sell for online.

Here is a recent example, but you should check out @genchiro’s threads on their recent travels.

7 Likes

thank you. will read this at the gym why I am on the treadmill

Good plan, here’s the other most recent

5 Likes

:grin::hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed: thank you

Others mentioned the price in shops = price online for Westerners.
But, availability might only be in Japan shops. Such as some hard to find Unlimited cards or promos. I’d prioritize trying to find cards you can’t find online

8 Likes

Echoing what others have said here. Actually when I was there last year I was surprised at how UN affordable some shops were. Selection, sure. Found some niche things that are difficult to find online. But don’t expect to find crazy steals. The optimal thing might be if you’re looking for current gen cards, you might find them for better price than online because of shipping. But for anything older, I wouldnt expect a lot.

If you’re into things other than cards, you might have a better time with deals. I found a few model kits that were prohibitively expensive stateside for inexpensive.

5 Likes

I’m looking for modern or anything from 2010-2020 era. because that is the era i stop collecting sadly. missed out on a lot sadly. Grab some promos also.

Card shops are everywhere at the moment. You can’t shake a california roll without hitting a card shop in the hotspots. Granted, a majority of them are only really peddling the most recent modern (as in SV and whatever else has been reprinted) with some token massively overpriced WOTC era and ex era stuff.

The bigger shops with the most turnover are going to be the best bet to actually find things you want, but the price you will need to pay is going to generally be far over what you’d find it for online. Radio Kaikan, despite being the tourist hub that it is, is genuinely still a great place to actually find rare cards. But you have to be willing to crowbar open your wallet if you want to buy them and not just see them.

5 Likes

IMO every second I spent in a card shop while I was in Japan felt a bit like wasted time. Check out a few but prioritize actually fun things on your trip instead of just making it irl mercari. I recommend this: 84tour

7 Likes

okJLUV made several videos of his Japan cardstore journeys over the past year if you want additional perspective. So much of Japan is exposed to the world thanks to social media, and everyone is basically looking for the same (or different) things at the same places

5 Likes

I have been in Japan for the lasy 3 weeks, and visited over probably like 50 TCG Stores across Tokyo alone.

In my hunts, i have been searching for High End / Vintage.

Best Store Locations:

• Ikebukuro
  • Akuhabara

The rest of Tokyo locations are limited amounts of stores like Shibuya & Shinjuku. But they have 1 or 2 decent ones worth checking.

Cash is a must for a lot of the stores. So make sure to have plenty haha.

A lot of the higher end stores only stock PSA10 not 9 or below.

Dont only listen to Google or Forums, keep ur eyes open when in Akihabara and Ikebukurom As ive found stores that have 0 mentions online.

Edit:
I would recommend checking BookOff stores as they are like treasure chests. Some will have some really cool shit, some will have nothing xD

(I literally found a Rayqauza Poncho Box in a store)… They can be crazy.

2 Likes

Just followed them on Instagram. need to pass by. looks really interesting.

I am a Magmar collector. lmao so i most likely be lucky. lol.

Thank you soo much. just sub. still watching them.