Gold "W" Stamp Promo card Info

Hi everyone. I’m making a historical video for the Gold “W” stamp cards and like to include sealed copies as part of the video. Just pictures if anyone has them. In this case, most of the copies came from the Top Deck Magazine. I noticed the March 2021 copy with vulpix is tough to find a picture for. Can anyone conirm the release dates as correct for those listed on bulbapedia? I would also love to double check in general that the copies I have in mind did include the card I think they came with.

We are talking about the cards with the wizards logo stamp on them, including pikachu, wartortle, kabuto, dark arbok, dark charmelon, psyduck and vulpix.

Thank you!

6 Likes

I have all of these unslabbed, I’m happy to provide you with images. I also have the envelope the Dark Arbok was distributed in, and a sealed Dark Charmeleon. Let me know what you need and I’ll take pics of what I can.

I also have a silver stamp Charmeleon if you want a picture of that.

(I do not have the magazines themselves, though.)

9 Likes

I had some good sun and a few spare minutes so I took these.

35 Likes

Free trivia for your script: The Dark Arbok is the only English version of this card that with the corrected copyright date. In the actual Team Rocket set, both the 1st Edition and Unlimited prints of Dark Arbok read “1999-23000” instead of “1999-2000”.

The W Stamp promo is correct and reads “1999-2000” as it should.

14 Likes

Never heard of these before. Post the vid when it’s done so I can get the details🙂

2 Likes

I love the W stamp promos. I have the full set as well, just for the binder collection. Charmeleon is the most expensive of them all and hard to find in mint condition.

2 Likes

I also really like this series. I feel like most people would probably find them mundane, but in the limited varieties of WotC promos I always thought these were pretty cohesive and classy. I wish we got a full page, but I like that they go in order - Jungle, Fossil, Base Set 2, Rocket, Gym Heroes, Gym Challenge.

Rocket is the only set that got two cards, having that additional international card. That’s the odd one one. But I wish we got more cards in this series, not less!

Edit: Said holistic instead of cohesive, no idea why.

2 Likes

Greatly appreciated @stagecoach but what I really need is the MAGAZINE photos. I have all the cards, including a sealed charmeleon and the dark Arbok package, but I would love some photos of the magazines.

I do have the pikachu’s magazine. Like I said, the vulpix magazine is specifically the toughest to find.

Edit: Appreciate the silver stamp charmeleon. Is that an error? I’m guessing it’s a rare distribution?

2 Likes

That is a cool little fact. Thanks.

2 Likes

Many cards that got gold stamps — including the WB movie stamps — have silver stamp versions. They are rare and undocumented, presumably just a production variation that was overlooked. They are not officially recognized anywhere except for by weirdos like me.

I’m sorry I don’t have the magazines, wish I could be more help. I like these cards a lot.

7 Likes

Does this image help? :thinking:

1 Like

Heck yea! I tried searching that one on eBay and couldn’t find it! Nice grab!

I’ll make sure to note the silver variation. That’s actually really cool. The silver charmeleon is dope.

1 Like

@joer I know we like a lot of the same cards so if I can ever do anything to help you out, let me know. Happy to contribute to documentation however I can.

1 Like

Seems like you were running out of my :heart: s, I made sure to fix that.

Is that dark arbok envelope’s position safe?
I mean, those pages are ment to bend vertically following the card dispositions right?
And if you put weight on the binder it should leave some mark on it, or not?

Summary

I can see the real problem with that arbok, what bothers you the most is not the envelope.

1 Like

I don’t store it in my binder, I just put it on top of the page for the photo. It might be hard to see at a glance but it’s actually in a poly bag with some black archival board to keep it rigid. I store it in a box with all my other promo-related things that are too big for binder pockets. But if you take a closer look you’ll see what I mean.

I have a small square box meant for photo storage that I use for things like this, keeps them all secure!

Edit: @omic

I like to use archival board for this stuff when I can. :grin:

12 Likes

I genuinely thought the casing was fixed to the page (with some tape), and was meant to stay in that position (and couldn’t really tell it was hard plastic).
My bad!

1 Like

FYI, there’s an Italian W Stamp Pikachu, released in 2000, It’s an unlimited version

5 Likes

I recall seeing that in passing, but do the other “W” cards come in more languages or just the Pika?

1 Like

1999-23000 :smiley:

1 Like

Having issues with finding the psyduck, which I think is the one I meant to say originally. I see a few of the vulpix, but no magazines that feature the psyduck. Anyone have one to see? Sealed or opened? @stagecoach
Edit: I’m asking to see the magazine, not card.