PSA: PSA will start grading Comics and Magazines in 2025

PSA announced that they will start grading comics and magazines in 2025. This was a no brainer as CGC has had the most market share within this category of grading.

Will CGC lose customers to PSA? Do you have anything to grade?

While I don’t have anything to grade personally, I hope they fix the label. The font is super small, and they have a lot of room to play with that seems wasted that they showed in the images below. I would imagine this could just be a prototype.

8 Likes

I could see them being successful for magazines. Their label is very newstand feeling.

I cant see cgc losing much market to psa because of the same reasons psa still leads cards, longevity of service and collection matching.

4 Likes

I can now grade my PSA magazines with PSA, I couldn’t be happier!

12 Likes

i knew i saved all those pokemon psa mags for a reason

1 Like

The labels are atrocious. Can’t say that I am surprised that they want to take marketshare from CGC. I am sure that they will continue to expand to coins, manga, etc.

Still waiting for a company to be brave enough to grade booster boxes. :melting_face:

Man there is nothing I want to do with my old magazines and comics except make sure that no one ever reads them again. But burning them is much cheaper. I just don’t see where the market is for this.

Do people even get magazines in the mail anymore? I haven’t seen one in decades since my mom used to get pottery barn catalogs.

The last ones I cared about were the og Lego catalogs. Those things were the shit

3 Likes

We’ll see who’s laughing when I grade all my original Highlights and zoobooks to flip!

4 Likes

Make sure you scan each page first and then upload that info to the database so I can use a QR code to read the encapsulated book

Now that would be a unique benefit. Grade, authenticate, digitize. My nintendo powers and shonen jumps wouldnt need to take up space on my magazine rack anylonger.

I have plenty of great ideas for today’s digital world

Easy capture of market share when the market leader’s cases are resealable.

I don’t think this will be successful but I’m sure they can take some small share initially. I think they’ll do much better on the magazine side.

3 Likes

100%! Cgc had the entire comic market to themselves, almost identically to PSA with trading cards. I’d be surprised if PSA took much of the comic share, but magazines make more sense as it’s a newer market. I’m still torn on if I want to grade and lock up a magazine. I guess the answer is just buying 2 of every copy! :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

It’s a little crazy but CBCS (beckett) has been around for 10+ years for comics and is subjectively the more consistent grader for modern comics but they can barely take share no matter how hard they try lol

Magazine grading in general is kinda weird. I have one (and three currently at cgc) but all are from the 1930s/40s which to me makes sense. Grading a 2024 mag you can get at CVS or whole foods or whatever at any time is just strange to me but I understand it in the current environment lol

5 Likes

Believe me a magazine in 2024 is more rare than one of 1930, Everything is digital.

1 Like

You might say it’s about TIME

3 Likes

Do you think it’s prudent to wait to grade any magazines until late next year to see how the market is valuing CGC vs PSA slabbed magazines? How long do you think it will take for the market to shake out the winner based on resale value?

I’ve got a bunch of 90s and 2000s Pokémon magazines that I want to grade. I’m hesitant to get CGC grading done right now knowing Pokémon collectors familiarity with PSA through graded cards. I know people have been giving PSA a tough time on the design but it looks like the card label so it would look more uniform in a collection display when it is alongside cards. I don’t know if that would be something specific to this niche.

Could make sense if you don’t have any real need to resell the magazines quickly. CGC is undisputed leader in magazine grading but it’s still very niche so I do think that market could end up being a duopoly.

If it’s for your PC to hold, buy the slab you like the most, imo

3 Likes

omg. yes i have those mostly sealed lol.

1 Like