Re-grade or nah?

I know people probably hate these threads, but I am an opinion person. Pretty sure it won’t get a 10, but this is a red label 1st edition Charizard PSA 9. Thinking about breaking it open and sending it in with my current submission, front is literally flawless with great centering, back is the problem…

Mainly the bottom left corner (pic 2). Really don’t think its a candidate for a 10 unless its a really easy grader with all the white, probably staying a 9 or even downgrading to an 8 IMO, what does everyone else think?

I’ve had 10s come back like that in my recent order. You could resend it in the case once and if it doest get upgraded crack it out. I’ve seen other people do it multiple times. If it’s for personal collection id send it multiple times.

yeah give it a shot, my 1st ed shadowless charizard psa 10 had similar back.

This is fucked up. To think how many people actually do this.

2 Likes

My personal opinion; don’t send it back in. There is obvious wear there.

5 Likes

There are people in the hobby who will send a card in 5 or 6 times in an effort to get the 1 tired grader to give it a 10 instead of a 9. It’s pretty shit.

3 Likes

It is but thats what some people will do. It’s one of the flaws of having people grade the cards.
Didn’t the only psa 10 Illustrator get regraded over and over? I think the most I’ve regraded a card is 3 and that
was just a ex theme deck card for my collection. I only do 2 now and when I regrade I just send it in for review
inside the case. I don’t crack it out of the case.

Since the system can be manipulated that is the thing that has to be fixed, not the necessarily the people. What if they send it in for reivew (inside the case) multiple times. PSA must know then its been resubmitted and it could still be upgraded.

The review works good to, from what I have seen… Id go with review about 3 times. As Many peeps have been successful doing this. Sometimes psa will just slap an 8 on a card, and then you crack it out and it gets a 10… Like with the Unikarp recently… But not sure if it was cracked out or, if it was Sent for review. Poke zu sent in his Espeon gold star japanese mint 9 in 3 times. First time he cracked it, second he did review, and 3rd time he reviewed and wrote please give me a 10 :blush: AND WULLLAAAAAAAAA ITS A 10… It was a centering issue, but ehh i digress if you go look at his card…

BUT HEY DONT YOU JUST LOVE IT WHEN PSA DOES THIS:

CONSPIRTACY THEORY… Maybe psa sees a card that is absolutely pristine and there like hmmms where slaping 10 on that one because its perfect on everything except centering… It seems to be happening quite a fair bit, and I kinda of agree with the whole shouldnt be ducked if pristine, but it kinda screws over everyone else. Kinda makes me think… I should just review all my off centered shit, or slightly off centered shit 50 times untill they grade it 10… So its really awesome that they have this review service that i havnt used yet.

This is just as bad as pack weighing. Think about it you pack weigh, get the heavy pack, other people get shit:deceiving.

You grade a card, NM-8, re-send 5 times, GEM Mint 10, resell as such:deceiving.

This is why I say if it is off centered, nicked, has silvering, or scratched and it receives a 10, then PSA is not professional.

P.s. I don’t give one fuck if you’re tired of me putting PSA down. This fourum is always open for discussion, whether your cards are weak 10’s or true ones. Hence the definition of a ‘Forum’.

2 Likes

99% Every single psa 10 has some form of nick’s silvering, factory whitening… striaght from the cut a card has this… This is why people who grade pokemon cards, grade with psa because they will give you a 10, bgs just wont… There was only 2 gold stars I seen that were absolute perfect, and they got sent to psa :unamused: a charizard and quaza and they would be in that 1% that are encased in a psa prison… SO one day im going to hunt that person down and get dem… Because everyone elses g stars have factory whitening. I have checked the ones on the market and the bundle i got myself. Always the same problem.

A wise man @soulwind Once said… Every card has a flaw, you just got to decide how much a flaw your happy with yourself… or some crap like that… and english? DOnt get me started… there only exists a few cards on the planet that are english without flaws… So if english collectors that graded didnt have psa… They would all die. Hell all japanese collectors would die to if psa wasnt here… Thats not gonna make me give in though xD . Chipping is on 95-99ish% of all engrish cards… Only true pristine engrish i have seen is the bgs celebi, bgs regirok, and bgs zard. This card above is probably a weak 10, so it might not be able to achieve the 10… However i have seen worse. Just my two cents.

Edit: Id say the whitening on this card is pretty prominent looking over it again, I dont think it has much of a chance… But the review service is der for a reasoningtons.

Lol this is such a touchy subject, every time this topic is brought up i feel like posting something i shouldnt… but im going to express my feelings on these matters. SO IF YOU BRING UP THIS SUBJECT PREPARE TO BE SHOT WITH

eSPECIALLY If my neo 4 zards that are perfect with perfect centering get a 9… if they do… PSA will pay i will spam them with that neo4 zard above… AND GIVEN THE RECENT PSA 10 NO RARITY ZARD!!! noooooooooooo… It better be perfect.

Sorry guys, i havnt slept very well, and my mind is deteriating because of pop 2 zard.

2 Likes

I feel the same. Unless there’s an error or oversight I’d never resend. I may cross over though to a different company.

As far as the op’s card…looks like a 9 max.

1 Like

Can you send a card in for a review in the same submission as ungraded cards for grading? Or does it need to be sent off separately (i.e separate return shipping as well).

I think you can submit a mixture.

LET THE SALT FLOW INTO YOU

For those of you who consistently re-submit your cards;

Now you can save yourself some money :joy:

Yes. Now is the time to send in some serious cardlings… Hopefully some new scrubs are on the the job… get mi dat shining zard.

Thanks everyone! I do think the wear is enough to keep it at a 9 and as much as I want the 10, I will just have to wait.

1 Like

I was thinking about this today.

There is nothing inherently wrong with re-grading at all. Anyone who thinks that PSA are infallible and never makes mistakes is delusional. Just the same as people who think they always know better than PSA. There are some PSA 10s out there that do not deserve a 10 at all, and there are plenty of 9s that deserve a 10 as well.

I think the issues arise with the interpretation of PSA’s grading guidelines, some people get this idea that a PSA 10 is a perfect card and that there can’t be any flaws in it. Which they even explicitly detail in their definition of a PSA 10. People also go the other way with it and think ‘WELL IT HAS THIS FLAW BUT PSA SAY IT CAN HAVE FLAWS AND GET A 10 SO WHY DIDN’T MINE!?!?!’

I think PSA would be well served to do more work on showing examples of what counts as a 9 or a 10 or whatever for different types of cards.

2 Likes

I don’t see any problem with cracking a card open and sending it back in. It shouldn’t matter if the card graded a 10 on the 1st submission or the 10th. If the card can potentially grade higher, why not? At the end of the day you’re paying for a professional opinion so you should be satisfied with the opinion.

You aren’t paying for an opinion that satisfies your needs though. The payment ends at opinion, not something you want.

I have cards that, even in a PSA 9 case, I swear I can’t find anything “wrong” with them. That being said, PSA have told me they are only Mint, not Gem.

1 Like