Sealed southern island sets

These seem to have jumped up quite a bit? Now around 400 USD for a sealed set? How do people see the future of these as sealed sets and collections as a whole. I think the art works are really strong here.

They’ll probably continue to climb now that Scott hyped them on his q&a video;)

6 Likes

Are you a fan of them yourself Gary?

I have a box full of them sealed but not graded. It is a great looking, nearly iconic set.

5 Likes

Wow! How many come in a box?

I meant inside a box I put them in.

1 Like

Ah nice! :blush:

Keen to get other views on this set :blush:

I’m seeing a sealed binder sold for $150 and $250 just within the last two weeks?.. one being an auction.

1 Like

Are we talking about the English or the Japanese version?

English.

1 Like

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372711283785

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173962847673

2 auctions that were 350 and 395$. I guess my original post should have said $400 price point.

www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Southern-Islands-18-cards-w-binder-NEW-factory-sealed/372777872832?hash=item56cb4aedc0:g:4nwAAOSwm49dML4N

www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Southern-Islands-Collection-Sealed/153626928371?hash=item23c4e0e4f3:g:LVQAAOSwKJldbDgn

2 auctions that were $250 and $150.

Interesting the price differences! Only thing I can think of is the condition. The lower auctions both looked a lot more damaged than the higher auctions?

In my opinion one of the best looking sets, artworks and holo patterns are stunning. I’m not a set collector but I can see myself collecting all cards of this one sooner or later.

4 Likes

So then aren’t the promo stuff a good outlook then? The Gold Stamp WOTC etc - I mean I’m surprised these have surged so much - whether it be through @smpratte or otherwise ~

Southern islands has always been a bit of a niche. But, the sealed binders are so hard to come by and some of the holos graded in a 10 sell for several hundreds of dollars. The fact that it comes with untampered boosters is another bonus.

I’ve been working on a graded set and look to buy a sealed set in the near future. I personally see a lot of potential growth for the set as a whole, especially sealed. Some of the pops on those 10s are extremely low and the set is very hard to grade. So, if the set gains popularity in the future people will be trying to purchase the sealed binders to crack open and grade.

1 Like

Yeah but it’s still baffling how it’s increased from 150 to its current prices in just 3 weeks ~ Makes me wonder if I should just get a few sealed promo’s in general - other than Southern Islands - before they increase to unobtainable prices ~

The $150 sell is just a one off of someone posting it up for BIN and not knowing it’s value. I’m sure it sold within minutes of being posted. I’ve been keeping an eye on them for the last 3 years and on the rare occasion that they have popped up it’s always been around the $300 mark.

You can’t judge prices on such a scarce in niche item like this on two sales alone. And as far as the wotc promos go, there were a TON of those printed in comparison to southern islands. Southern islands is unique, niche and scarce. You’re not going to really find anything that compares to it in price movement and its movement won’t really reflect anything else.

2 Likes

Even $300 seems low to me for a mint sealed binder. The packs are 50 USD each or so and the 18 cards would have an aggregate value of at least $200 if any of the holo are a 10. The binder should be going up a lot over the coming years is my view. If a sealed product is supposed to be worth more than the expected value of the contents inside, the current pricing makes little sense to me.