The Best Art Base Set?

The Base set started it for most of us when we got those beautiful pieces of cardboard.

I would love to know what your favourite art or card was from the set ?

Mine is definitely Venusaur , it’s art pops just right

Your turn !

3 Likes

Blastoise, Gyarados, Alakazam, Dragonair always my favorite arts. Not sure I can choose one

3 Likes

These are tough to beat!

Also there are a lot of nice kinebuchi trainer arts. They feel retro futurism. Switch is one of my favorites and still playable today!

24 Likes

12 Likes

I think it has to be Dragonair.

But I love Pikachu as well. The forrest scene behind is so intriguing, it’s like a call to adventure.

9 Likes

It terms of pure artwork, I gotta say Dragonair is the best to me. The colours/design just really pop on that. It’s almost as good as any holo card without being a holo to me.

Squirtle is my personal fav overall, I just always get nostalgia from it and I like how it’s in action. Seeing the bubbles immediately takes me back to the first hours of playing Pokemon Blue and using the Bubble move in 1999.

10 Likes

6 Likes

Dewgong and Nidorino

5 Likes

Those are beautiful artworks as well.

1 Like

Abra. I probably consider starting an abra collection once a week because of that card.

2 Likes

yep

edit: nidorino and rattata gotta be up there as well (thanks @Dyl for the reminder)

3 Likes

I felt like these best characterized the Pokemon while also going a little further than Windows stock art. Maybe I have an unpopular opinion, but the best base set art is outside of the rare slot (Beedrill and Dragonair are exceptions).

14 Likes

Hard to pick just one from this set since it’s my favourite. So I’ll pick one iconic Arita and one iconic Sugimori: Dragonair and Blastoise.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Charmander is great as well.

I wonder if it’s time for a poll lol.

Would it be better to rate each card between 1-5 or the simple do you like it yes/no?

2 Likes

I think a rating system sounds great

Another question is: if this thread went on forever, what would be the last card from the base set that was shared?

1 Like

If I had to pick only one, I’d pick Rattata.

I will say though that there’s just something about Charmeleon that gets me.

1 Like

Gyarados is underrated. Such a cool background.

11 Likes

It gives me serotonin every time I look at it

8 Likes