The Change in how REPRINTs are Numbered by Pokemon!!

Hi everyone!

So this is very new, I just read an article and the Pokemon company is changing the way they label the reprints:

This is from the article I read (Probably you read too :grin: ):

"Jolteon-EX and M Lucario-EX from the upcoming Mega Powers Collection have been revealed in full! Both cards are reprints with new artwork. The Mega Powers Collection will be released in America and Europe on May 19th.

When it was originally released back in 2014, M Lucario-EX from Furious Fists was numbered #55/111 with the Furious Fists set symbol. Jolteon-EX from Generations was originally numbered #28/83 with the Generations set symbol when it was released last year.

…the new reprints, M Lucario-EX is #55a/111 from Furious Fists whereas Jolteon-EX is #28a/83 from Generations. Both now have a capital yellow “A” in the corner of the card to denote that these are alternate prints.
Rather than printing reprints as new black star promos, future reprinted promos will now be labeled with their original card number and set symbol (but with a, b, c, etc. in their card numbers). And they will always have the “A” in the corner to make it clear these are alternate prints. If Jolteon-EX gets another reprint in the future with alternate artwork, it’ll be labeled #55b and have the “A” for “alternate” in the corner."

So what do you think this will impact the collector side?

I believe we now have a “kind off” first edition for a card and its value won’t deteriorate as much as before, when a reprint is done :blush:

2 Likes

Love it, its not the same as a 1st edition by any means but it now gives cards that are pulled from boxes much more credit and value. Of course they cannot go back and redo the masses of EX collection boxes so no one knows if a Kangaskan ex was pulled from the box or a flashfire booster box. When a booster box of FF is going for $300, and a single EX from it is worth a dollar or two, its crazy that card was then reprinted into a ex box furthering its quantity in the market. Just my thoughts.

2 Likes

I love this idea.

#PicOrDidntHappen

1 Like

www.pokebeach.com/2017/05/pokemon-changing-how-reprints-are-printed-likely-no-best-of-xy-set

6 Likes

Exactly!!

I thought they might do this, but number them as a Secret Rare so they fit with all the other URs.

I just last night reordered my Generations binder to fit all the holo promos and then this comes up :angry: , so I’ll probably just put them at the end of sets where they should be.

I dont think it alters it AT ALL, it’s no better than having the black start promo on it. I’m glad they’re doing it though.

will this devalue best of xy?

Finally! Dare I say a rare implementation focused on collectors?

1 Like

I think this will be very hard to tell. Completely depends if we see all the SR/UR printed in English, how they are released, Hyper Rare starters should command a premium, because 1 promo in a $40 box (Ik these aren’t in BoXY). Whereas the box this month has 4 FA for 50 bucks, the knowledge of that surely kept down value on those specific FA cards. Then there is another factor of predicting while they will be printed in English or not, if everyone thinks they will, prices go down for specific FA cards, not necessarily sealed boxes, but then after that, finding out they don’t come in English could increase price more than it fell.

Will also be interesting with the UR + N, those cards are going to sell for a lot in PSA 10 sometime soon. English variants could bring more exposure to the Japanese ones

I wouldn’t be too worried about sealed boxes of BoXY though, I don’t see any reason why boxes fall below the $60 many people paid, while many people bought these, those UR cards will remain expensive chase cards, so people continue to open these boxes

1 Like

We seem to reprint some Japanese cards exactly, but in most sets the cards are different arts.The Japanese ones are nearly always more attractive than those of the English ones(In my opinion)