The Worst Pokemon Investment Ever

In your opinion what Pokemon card, set, item, product or whatever, is the WORST investment in the hobby?

If somebody asked me what was, is, and will always be the worst investment in the Pokemon world I would say it’s those Japanese CD promos…graded or not.
The sealed package is nice so not included in my worst ever nor is the English Shadowless Pikachu which was part of the set.
Honorable mention would be the silly art academy amateur cards.

Your turn;)

1 Like

Miscuts. Why people pay MORE for something that’s messed up I will never understand… :wink:

I think a lot of people got burned by buying a bunch of evolutions product when it was brand new. But given enough time (granted that could be 10 years) it may not be the “worst” investment.

10 Likes

The CD promo’s were taking advantage of people at the time you wouldn’t in clear conscience tell people these are going to be great investments in the future.

Imagine if instead of the CD promos it was 1st ed Charizard, that would have a huge effect on prices if there were thousands in PSA 10 from a controlled effort. It is a bit weird thinking back that Media Factory would allow the distribution of such a large portion of those cards where you would normally get them from the CD. It reminds me of the artifical environment with the english dog goldstars, it ruined the market for those cards.

Another bad investment would be the lucky stadium promos, they were selling in the high hundreds even thousands in PSA. Probably the same situation as above, but to a lesser extent as I think there were rumors that there was later printings, I don’t personally believe that story I think people just took advantage of the situation and being first to market etc.

2 Likes

I guess you never saw a home shopping show that featured collectibles lol.

1 Like

I have to admit that I certainly never saw any other franchise, sports or non sports, that had the attraction to miscuts that Pokemon has;)

1 Like

Anything @pokemonsyndicate does :wink:

17 Likes

lol will see about that when the next no rarity psa 10 beats your illustrator sale :ninja:

we will be looking back on this thread smpratticoinz… MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAH MARK MY SALTY WORDS!

you MAY have won the battle for now. BUT YOU WILL NOT WIN THE WAR! :nerd_face:

Nothing will beat his illustrator Unless I bid on it, and I don’t bid on no raritans lol :wink:

1 Like

You will suffer when we look back on this thread. You will regret the day you posted this…

With Great salt, comes great vengfulbillty… Remember that garinson and smpratticoinz, remeber that.

1 Like

LS’s are a great pick. When they were first released in Japan I sold an ungraded set for 1750.00 to a friend (sorry again Joel lol).

1 Like

Hey, I’m pulling for you. I hope you’re right;)

1 Like

Was the shadowless PIkachu always included with the CD, or was that bundled in later? I seem to remember the CD initially only came with the 10 Japanese cards.

Anyway, my pick would be the Happy Birthday Pikachu. Remember when people were foolishly spending $500 on eBay for that card? And if they had only gone to my website at the time, they could have purchased it for $50 — and that INCLUDED the calendar with which the card was bundled.

Speaking of … I wonder how many of those calendars still exist.

1 Like

Yes, I remember well. They certainly did nosedive.

The calendar is actually very rare. You’d think I should have dozens but I only have two. Those should be worth much more than the pika lol.
I handled thousands of the cd sets and never saw one without the pika, I’d be very interested in getting one without the pika if there were any like in an early Jpn release or something like that?

2 Likes

Intersting. I too handled thousands of these. But I never actually opened one, so I was completely unaware of the English card being inside!

I think 1st edition charizards are the worst investment… if any one has them ill do the honors and take them so there not gathering dust :grin::grin::ok_hand:

1 Like

Buy FA Shaman EX they said, you’ll get your money back in a year they said

2 Likes

Probably a lot of the new products, because everyone will hoard them and supply will be higher than demand.

Other than that…I’m gonna be bold and say that for now prices will overall rise, but start declining a little in a couple months (think 10+ months), then rise again with the release of the Switch Pokémon RPG, and then 2years after that prices will decline slowly again. This time the decline will last longer, though.

I would say Evolutions because people are treating it like it’s Base Set which it is not. I’ve seen so many people who are hoarding it.

3 Likes

Good point, but it’s super cheap. Unless these people paid crazy prices for graded cards, I have a feeling this might be worth something eventually. The PSA 10s and sealed product at least.

It’s not something I would personally invest on, but I don’t see the prices nose dive either. I wouldn’t think it’s crazy to assume some of the Sun & Moon sets can double or triple in the next 10 years or so. Not a great return by any means but it’s just too early to really predict how it will do on the long run.

The pika was on the back unless my mind is totally shot lol.