What card(s) in your collection do you have ZERO ATTACHMENT to? (Investments?)

We often talk about the cards, or the one card, we could never give up, but I realized some time ago, that what some would consider to be the best card(s) in my collection, I really don’t care for and would sell off in an instant for the right price.

For example, I can’t truly say a card in my collection, that I paid in the five figure range for (key word is paid, not valued at), is ever just a collectible to me. My income vs. the price of it, would never allow me to casually own such a card. So as such, a card like my PSA 10 1st Edition Base set Charizard, is something I enjoy having, but have no attachment to whatsoever. So in my mind, it’s an investment.

What’s that card for you? Whether it’s an “investment”, or for another reason?

10 Likes

Mine is my 05-06 Upper Deck Alex Ovechkin Young Guns Rookie. I’ve been a Capitals fan for over 20 years, since Paul Kariya left the (then) Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. I have always been a die-hard fan of Alex and enjoyed watching him play every night. Lately his effort on the ice has completely fallen off and i’m sick of watching him stand around. Just break the record dude so I can sell you off… see ya!!

6 Likes

Dude why wouldn’t you just sell it? It’s a house man. Just get the house and be done with it. PSA 10 zard is the most overrated overvalued card in pokemon. (psst, it looks no different from the 9)

1 Like

The odd sealed modern packs I have.

1 Like

Every single sealed item I own

6 Likes

I no longer keep cards which I am unattached to.

6 Likes

every single ENGLISH sealed item I own

2 Likes

I have 0 attachment to inanimate objects. They are chess pieces on the board that will either advance or get knocked out.

/s

1 Like

Following :eyes:

Every card I own that would be valued at four figures and above is living on borrowed time in my collection.

4 Likes

I don’t buy cards that I have zero attachment to. At the same time, I would sell 99% of my collection for the right price.

5 Likes

Because like a stock, I’m not going to sell an asset if I think the market on it could be stronger than what it is at this time.

Sure the price today is a good one, but if I think it could be better, I’m holding.

2 Likes

:goldstar: :frog:

10 Likes

I think generally, if its in a slab, id let it go for the right price. If its in a binder, its something i dont intend to sell. This also kinda aligns with the mindset of ‘the more expensive an item is, the more likely i am to consider it an investment/ something that i may sell,’ seeing as its unlikely a $20,000 card will end up in my binder.

That being said, i am still attached to pretty much every graded card I own and would probably feel uncomfortable selling any of them. In a perfect world, i wouldnt concern myself with the monetary value of cards at all and it would all just be fun collecting, but similar to as you said, my income/ financial situation just doesnt and probably never will allow for that mindset, especially as the hobby continues to grow and cards get more expensive.

how many years till retirement? Those bad boys broke the .99$ threshold recently its only a matter of time

4 Likes

:gem::open_hands::gem::open_hands::gem::open_hands::gem::open_hands::gem::open_hands:
Straight to the moon

2 Likes

Me and my investments

In all seriousness for me this is why I consolidate my collection every now and then. Theres a lot of cards I enjoy purchasing and owning but once its in hand for awhile those feelings go away. For example two years ago I traded a #3 full art Pikachu for a #1 e-series trophy. At the time it felt like the natural progression of my interests and now my feelings for the #1 are starting to fade.

As far as my income vs value I do not usually take that into consideration. I’m happy with my life and what I have, as well as I don’t owe anyone anything in the world. Everything in my collection however does have a theoretical price I’d take for it except for my Snap Bulbasaur.

8 Likes

I have a few Japanese sealed stuff which I collected when starting out in the hobby again. I would consider them as investments. Basically if they are not in my binders, they are good to sell.

Cheers!

1 Like

Lmao it’s like a meme crypto coin. If it goes to $2 that’s double yo dolla, boys!